Sunday, April 02, 2006

Thought Rock

Beantown underground clubs with Dave & crew. Comment of the year from Dave, I never cease to turn your routine upside down do I? Truth bro. See Dave's one of these friends that gets me thinking. Throws out simple questions that get complicated. Last year he sparks thoughts about traveling more. This year he seems almost serious asking if he could ever convince a Norwegian skiier since age 9 to move out West. Very funny Dave.

Look up and round. 20 Campus Reps around dinner. Talking future. Talking innovation. Talking possibilities. Good times get great and then it hits me. Why I keep coming back here time and time again.

Rewind to 99' at Umass. I write my nine-thousandth paper for my Constitutional law class and a professor talks tough about why I should apply to law school. I rebuff claiming, I like the critique of law, I hate the study in it. Her response haunts me ever since...

It's not about the field you study, but the great minds you meet. You need to meet those minds.

I never went to law school. But I've kept looking for what I'd find there ever since. Work hasn't even come close, and yet here it is around a dinner table. Just a bunch of college kids talk'n geek and it's great. Not even a job. Just great minds and the firestorm of ideas that results.

Last year I considered to myself the possibility of unleashing Hill's Mastermind Principle within the context of social networks. This weekend I felt the MMP outside of IPs and screennames, in action. Great minds. Big ideas. No box.

Amazing.

No comments: