Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Jump

This weekend I jumped off an ice cliff while skiing. 

It was no accident and, after doing so, I felt more liberation than any jump, mogul, or vertical incline ever provided before.  

Why? 

Because it scared the hell out of me, because every inch of my defined limitations screamed, "impossible"... yet I did it anyway. 

I cannot explain euphoria I felt the rest of that day, I cannot explain how I was OK with nearly breaking an ankle further down the trail, I cannot comprehend how a little ice in the woods could have impact it did.  But it did so for Jay too so I cannot claim to be crazy. 

What I do know is that there are times in life we can feel out of touch with our better selves, when it takes an act so apart from the confines of our predefined limits that we elevate our awareness and appreciation for things that much higher.  I would not have dreamed of jumping off an ice cliff in the middle of an unmarked trail on the last run of the day before that moment, but in that moment doing so was all that mattered. 


No comments: