Monday, January 21, 2008

37

Do you remember one sunny day biking home from Gosselin's Market on the far end of town? Stopped by a girl you went to school with -  Jackie was it? Do you remember this day brother? 

Do you remember refusing to lift a finger to this angry girl with a knife who wanted a fight? Do you remember your resolution: "I will not fight you." You would not touch the weapon she offered. She threatened me that day to get to you. Your calmness was infuriating. Do you remember protecting me from her? You wouldn't let her get close to me. One sunny summer day etched in the folds of my mind for all eternity. Your gift of empathy that completely disarmed her. Someone with nothing to lose rendered powerless inside of your insight and compassion for her condition. You diffused the situation just long enough for me to get on my bike and pedal off. 

Did you stay behind or were you right behind me all the way?

I ask myself the same question every day.  

Your courage and compassion will never fail as a beacon to me.
Thank you once again for all the strength you give me still. 
Happy birthday brother. 

No comments: